I have been watching the current Superman TV series, Smallville, since the first episode and I have been a fan since then. I always had the
fortune of watching every episode to see Clark Kent journeying to become Superman, The World’s Greatest Superhero. I am creating a list of the most important Smallville episodes that showed the evolution of its main character, Clark Kent.
1) Pilot – The one that started it all. Every Superman project (TV, Film, & Animation) always starts out with his origin and this one was no
different. But this one had a twist – Clark’s spaceship comes with the meteoric pieces of his doomed planet, Krypton, and the
showers have hit the small town of Smallville, where he is found and adopted by his Earth parents. The pilot sets out the characters
and structure of the series.
2) Rosetta – The best episode of the 2nd season and, perhaps, the series. Superman Christopher Reeve guest-stars in this episode where he
reveals Clark’s birthplace. This is the passing of the Superman torch from one generation to the next. Despite Superman Returns,
Tom Welling is still carrying the Superman torch on a weekly basis for 5 years and 6 seasons.
3) Memoria – Even though I didn’t record this one, this episode revealed the rest of Clark’s origin on Krypton where we see his biological
parents, Jor-El and Lara, put him in the rocket ship that came to Earth.
4) Covenant – Clark Kent faces his destiny when a girl came from the Kryptonian caves and claims she’s from Krypton. She bears a name
Kara as a nod to his cousin, Supergirl. Clark’s friendship with Lex gets tested and gets sucked into the cave’s realm. This has
one of the best cliffhangers where Lionel gets his mane cut, Chloe and her father in a house that blew up, Lex poisoned by a
drink, Martha checking the symbol outside the farm, and Jonathan lying unconscious at the cave.
5) Crusade – This 4th season premiere introduced Lois Lane before she was the famous reporter of the Daily Planet. It’s already revealed
that she and Chloe are cousins and we also see Lois meet Clark for the first time. This episode also marked the first time that a
Superman flew for our generation. It it wasn’t for that, Superman Returns would not happened.
6) Run – This episode marks the meeting of the superheroes when Clark meets the future Flash, Bart Allen. The super-speed race between
the two was the highlight for me.
7) Commencement – The supersized season finale where Clark, Lana, and Chloe graduated from high school and Smallville gets hit by the
meteor showers once again, thanks to Lana who had possession of one of the stones. In a nod to Superman: The
Movie, Clark throws the crystal that was once the 3 stones out in the Antarctic.
8) Arrival – The 5th season premiere introduced another element of the Superman mythos – The Fortress of Solitude, which is similar to the
one in the movies except that it’s risen faster due to CGI. It’s action-packed in that it also introduced other elements – The
Phantom Zone and Braiiac. This episode won an Emmy Award for Best Sound Editing.
9) Aqua – Another superhero crossover episode where Clark meets Arthur Curry, the future Aquaman.
10) Reckoning – The 100th episode was a milestone that a major character gets killed off. They did a good tease where we thought it would
be Lana, but it ended up being Clark’s father, Jonathan. This marked the end of Clark being a teenager and into adulthood.
11) Cyborg – More superhero crossover when Clark meets Victor Stone, the half-man/ half-machine Cyborg.
12) Vessel – The 5th season finale where Clark and Lex’s friendship dissolved over Lana and the end of Brainiac, who has been preparing
Lex for the Coming of Zod, which was the theme for the 5th Season not Superman-In-Training.
13) Zod – The 6th season premiere that features the famous S symbol and the super-fight between Clark & Lex/ Zod that was one-sided.
This episode also introduces Jimmy Olsen, who is Chloe’s love interest.
14) Arrow – The latest superhero introduced is Oliver Queen aka Green Arrow, whose story-arc is to find superhumans to form the Justice
League and protect the world from evil. The end meeting Clark and Oliver sealed it between the two.
15) Static – I will include this episode because it introduced another superhero, the Martian Manhunter.
16) Fallout – Raya from the season premiere returns and helps Kal-El re-activate the Fortress of Solitude. Thanks to their relationship, Clark
finally embraces his destiny and train with his father, Jor-El, after he vows to defeat the Phantom Zoners.
17) Justice – The much-hyped episode where all the superheroes, except Martian Manhunter, team up to take down Level 33.1 at LuthorCorp
as a nascent superhero community is forming.